Moss Bay Iron and Steel Works is an Eastside Lake Washington private club.  Our goal is to promote fraternal and social networking through club events and activities.

In 1887, Peter Kirk, an Englishman, started construction on the Moss Bay Iron and Steel Works in the area between the towns of Houghton and Juanita, with the goal of making Kirkland the "Pittsburgh of the West", supplying iron and steel to the railroads and more on the developing west coast of America. Kirk was part owner of a mill in England called Moss Bay Hematite Iron and Steel Company, near Moss Bay in England, and Kirk's idea was that this would be an expansion.

With investment from Arthur Denny and Leigh Hunt (owner of the Seattle Post Intelligencer at the time), they purchased the land and started construction, at a total cost of two millions dollars. The location was chosen because iron ore had been found in Snoqualmie, and Seattle was planning a canal from Lake Washington to the Sound to allow the steel to be shipped out on boat to the west coast as well as Asia.

Originally the Mill was to be built near the water, in the area that is now Peter Kirk Park, but the plan changed when the railroad said they would only build tracks near Forbes Lake on Rose Hill, so the plan changed and the mill was completed in Rose Hill near Forbes Lake near the railroad tracks (which is now Slater Ave).

The mill was completed but never produced an ounce of iron or steel due to an economic panic in 1890 and the great Seattle Fire of 1889 which delayed the construction of the ship canal.